“In the Workshop” presented by Mesner Puppet Theater2020-21 School Year
Social Emotional Learning Resource
A Social Emotional Learning program for preschool through early elementary educators using art, storytelling and puppetry.
“In the Workshop”
A Mesner Puppet Theater digital series produced in partnership with the Carlsen Center’s Arts Education department.
“In The Workshop" is an eight-episode digital social-emotional learning supplement for educators of preschoolers to early elementary students. The program empowers educators to use art, storytelling and puppetry to teach important life skills such as safety, identifying emotions and managing relationships.
Set in a vibrant makerspace for artists, an assorted cast of puppet characters work alongside workshop co-owners Alex and Da’Lene. The characters must learn valuable skills such as emotional intelligence, empathy and resilience in order to work together. The “Workshop” is eclectic and electric, vibrant and inspiring, and with no shortage of foibles, conflicts and internal struggles that mirror young people in their own social and emotional development.
With purchase, educators receive:
- Eight 12-minute web episodes that are the "hook" for each lesson, with the following learning ties:
- Episodes 1 and 2: Identifying emotions (happy, frustrated), asking for help, collaboration, body control, safety
- Episodes 3 and 4: Identifying emotions (fear), separation anxiety, overactive imagination
- Episodes 5 and 6: Identifying emotions (anger, jealousy), interpersonal relationships (taking turns, sharing, losing)
- Episodes 7 and 8: Identifying emotions (sad, disappointment), exploring loss, finding hope
- Arts-integrated lesson plans inspired by episodes
- Printable activity sheets connected to lesson plans
- Arts integration demo videos
- Librarian-curated reading lists
One-on-one opportunity! For an additional $100, you can add a 30-minute Zoom session with Nico, one of the puppet characters
Families and individuals can purchase, too! Purchase the program for $5 an episode and get access for 48 hours.
“In the Workshop” program cost is $300-$1,000, depending on the size and makeup of your group. The Carlsen Center Arts Education and JCCC Foundation are generously underwriting program purchase costs for schools or groups who need funding support.
Visit JCCC or Mesner Puppet online for more info!